Thursday, January 14, 2010

FileMaker Today

I am still slogging my way through Chapter 1 of FMP10TMM.  I get sidetracked pretty easy. Found another couple of useful tricks in the Chapter 1 sample file. Some cool stuff with using buttons to pass script parameters and some cool formatting tricks using the auto resize.

I was researching an idea I had about storing graphics outside of the database and then using FileMaker to point to a reference of the image. This is pretty straight forward but what happens if the folder the images in is moved or renamed? Short answer is that the links all break. This is not good. There are some interesting workarounds but it's really overkill for what I am doing.


Anyway while looking this up I came upon a website called FileMaker Today boasting over 50,000 members. The forums look prety good and they even had a link on the front page to a FileMaker podcast that I will check out and repot back on.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious, are you wanting to store the images on the file system instead of as blobs in the db itself to save time/space with db backups? Why not build an XML schema to control storage and retrieval of images? This way at least the filesystem follows a rigid structure but, unlike db records, each image can be backed up independently and only when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if i was storing large images it would be an issue. These databases should only be storing 500 pixel max pngs or jpgs.

    When you link to a reference you only get a file icon so i would still have to paste in a thumbnail and by that time it's to much work for little pay off.

    If I was using this as a DAM it might be worth it.

    Any Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete